Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My favorite form of "recycling"

If you have visited my house, you may wonder why we have five trashcans in our kitchen. And if you are like my sister, who didn't want to be rude and ask what that crazy looking sprayer thing in our bathroom is (it's a diaper sprayer; it was fun to hear all of the things she considered for the year she wouldn't ask!), you didn't ask.

We don't have curbside pickup for our items to be recycled. Because we have to take it to the recycling facility ourselves, we have to have it all separated. We haven't come up with a better system, so we have five trashcans.

In the winter, it can be a pain to take it all down to the facility, but we still do.

That is why my favorite form of recycling (and yes, I know it is actually simply reusing) is that of our cardboard. It is how we start our fires in the basement. I love our fireplace, but it isn't always easy to get a fire going down there when we accidentally let it go out. Adding cardboard helps it get hot enough to catch the wood and get the fire going.

Since we have added insulation to the attic and started using our fireplace throughout the winter, our heating bill has been cut into half, and sometimes more. And we have yet to purchase wood. My husband has found free wood on craigslist, and cuts and stacks it himself.

Now if only I could get him to take down the rest of our recyclables.

No comments:

Post a Comment