Monday, May 24, 2010

Welcome to Rachel's world.

Okay, I get it. I am sold on the "theory" of global warming. When I think about landfills, my stomach cringes. My family -- all three of us -- we try to minimize our personal carbon footprints, but sometimes we slip. We aren't obsessive, although we probably should be. I still use paper towels, eat fast food (don't tell Jamie Oliver!), and often jump in my car and drive to no where just to get out of the house.
Hey, I am a stay-at-home mom. I am trying. But sometimes you just go stir-crazy in the house all day. Especially when I used to explore the world around me as a journalist in West Virginia where there was always something to learn and something new to write about.
The most successful way we have conserved energy and space in the landfill has been to primarily use cloth diapers on our 16-month-old daughter.
We. Love. Them.
She does, too. Turns out, she has pretty sensitive skin, and the cloth keep her from diaper rash. Who knew they would be so much better for her, too? Well, I had a pretty good idea that they might be, but it was still amazing to see the results. We have had the same set of diapers since she was a newborn, so they have saved us a lot of cash, too.
We slip there, too, sometimes. At least we are trying.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo... cloth diapers. I'm glad that I know someone who has inside knowledge of how to use them. Ginger and I plan to use cloth diapers with our kids, whenever we add them to the picture.

    I look forward to follow the blog, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete