Sunday, October 31, 2010

So worth the cost!

When I found out I was pregnant with my first daughter, I began my research of cloth. As I have written about before, I chose the BG 3.0s. They are a one-size, so my daughter has worn them since she was an infant.

We bought the aplix (Velcro) diapers, which I absolutely love for fit. BUT after two years of HARSH diapering (and many diaper chains before I got the hang of the wash tabs and such), my aplix is a little worn out.

My daughter can take the dipes off with ease. Sometimes they fall off on their own (well, okay, with her funky dance moves!) if I don't have something covering them (pants, shorts or anything like this).

BUT.....

When I found out I was expecting another little girl, I wanted to make these dipes last. We paid $17.95 for most of them, and found some of them on craigslist used for about 10 bucks each. Because we received many of the dipes as baby gifts (start your registry at http://www.diaperparties.com/!) we only have several hundred dollars invested.

I contacted Cotton Babies - the maker of BG - about the worn tabs, simply asking if they sold a replacement for them. I must have reached the right person, because although they recently began selling a BG Replacement Kit for about a buck, they sent me 24 kits for free. Just for asking!

I am not an experienced seamstress, but my gracious inlaws recently blessed me with a brand new sewing machine. Tonight, I successfully replaced the tabs on one of the dipes, and immediately put it on my daughter! I know we won't have "leaks" tonight (can you call them leaks if her entire diaper is pulled off?).

The dipe is literally like new. It looks good, and the PUL is still in great shape!

So in addition to the thousands of bucks we have saved on sposies, we are saving ourselves from another stash of brand new diapers.
Now, if I could make myself stop looking at the cute new designs offered at Everything Birth!

No comments:

Post a Comment