Monday, June 14, 2010

Strip 'Em

Stripping has become a necessity in my house.

Diapers, people. Diapers!

Stripping cloth diapers isn't hard, but it really is necessary from time to time. I have done it a few times, and it really helps get rid of any soap build-up, not to mention any stink accumulation.

There are lots of ideas out there about this, and I am sure they all work.

In my opinion, the best way to strip diapers is just with hot hot hot water. Like boiling hot. In fact, I don't think my washer gets quite hot enough, so when I strip them, I boil two large pots of water and toss them (carefully) in with the diapers. I run a cycle over and over until no more soap bubbles appear. Sometimes it just takes a few cycles. Sometimes it takes 6 or 7. Whatever it takes, it is worth it.

Before you strip them, make sure they are clean. (So go ahead and do a wash cycle with your soap). But don't add anymore soap in the stripping cycles. The point is to get it all out, not keep adding more.

If the hot water doesn't work, there are other methods. One is Dawn dishwashing soap, and I have heard this works wonders. But, unless it is really needed, I'd stick with the hot water:)

No comments:

Post a Comment