Monday, March 21, 2011

Carseat safety

My oldest daughter - who recently turned 2 - gets excited to sit in her carseat (a Britax Decathlon or Marathon, depending on the car we are taking out). It is partly because that is all she knows; if anything, I am anal about putting the kiddos in carseats. But, I have to give credit to Dora and Boots in their efforts with: "Buckle up so we can be safe!"

I have always been an advocate for ERF (extended rear facing) kiddos, especially once I saw this Youtube video . 

I cannot control very much as a parent. I risk the lives of myself and my children every time we get in the car. The one thing I can absolutely control is that they are both correctly put in carseats that are installed safely.

The American Academy of Pediatrics stepped up to the plate today, recommending all children stay RF up til the age of two.

They state: If a 1-year-old outweighs the recommendation of an infant seat, parents should switch to a different rear-facing car seat that accommodates the heavier weight until they turn 2.

Read the entire article.

2 comments:

  1. Caed is less than 5 lbs from his infant seat's weight limit. Just this week we pulled out the convertible seat to start getting it ready. I think he'll be around 6 mos old based on his past growth history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is his infant seat's weight limit? Which seat do you have?

    ReplyDelete